Friday, November 2, 2007

MacOS Vista?

Let me preface by saying that I have been a Mac user and fan since my first Macintosh in 1984. I got mine in the summer of '84 so I am a pretty early adopter. While not my original one I still have a beige Mac Plus.

I upgraded the OS on my Mac Pro last night to Leopard. While I will use it I am not very pleased with many of the "Improvements." I was really looking forward to Time Machine and Spaces. Stacks looked like it was pretty cool but I was already doing this in Tiger with a few folders in the dock. While I have spent less than an hour with the OS it already feels kind of kludgy.

I have not found a way to re-label the spaces in "Spaces" from their simple numbering system. Assigning an application to a space is a great idea but it's implementation seems broken. The first time I tried it I assigned BBedit to space 3. Clicking on BBedit in the dock switched to space 3 and opened BBedit. I went to space 1 and clicked on the BBedit icon in the dock and it to me to space 3 and BBedit like I expected. I went to space 7 and opened Firefox. Clicked the BBedit icon again but this time I did not move to space 3 and no BBedit window but I did get the BBedit menu in space 7. CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro worked so much better but when Spaces was announced the author quit working on it and the next OS update to tiger broke it. VirtueDesktops was a reasonable substitute but again the author quite development last year because of Spaces in Leopard would do the same thing. NOT!

I had several folders in the Dock that worked great under Tiger. A right click on the folder in the dock and I could navigate the hierarchy. When moving to Leopard the folders appeared as stacks but there seems to be no way to navigate them hierarchically. This stinks.

I am reloading the OS now to include migrating from my Tiger drive as I was not given any upgrade options and needed to use a new drive so I could preserve my old settings, data, users, etc.

I will work with it some more and hopefully this lament will make it to the Leopard team at Apple one way or another and they will fix these problems.

I am still an Apple fan but it seems that success is going to their heads and they are starting to act like Microsoft. I do not mean that in a good way.

No comments: